Jonathan Lyndale Kirk (born December 22nd, 1991), better known as DaBaby (formerly known as Baby Jesus), is an American rapper and songwriter from Charlotte, North Carolina. He is best known for his singles "Suge" and "BOP", peaking at number seven and eleven respectively on the Billboard Hot 100.
Along with the success of the single, Baby on Baby peaked at number 7 on the Billboard 200. He released his second studio album, KIRK, months later. It debuted at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200, becoming his first album to top the chart.
Jonathan Lyndale Kirk was born on December 22nd, 1991, in Cleveland, Ohio. However, he moved to Charlotte, North Carolina in 1999, where he would spend most of his early years. He attended and graduated from Vance High School in 2010.
Why He and His Music Rock
- His voice is fun, energetic and full of charisma and personality.
- His production is great.
- His lyrics are great and feature interesting similes and wordplay. His lyrics are also very funny and not that serious.
- He has many fun songs such as "BOP", "Next Song", "Suge", "VIBEZ" and "INTRO".
- His music videos are great and well shot (ex. "BOP", "Suge", "INTRO").
- His feature on "Under the Sun" was great.
- His flow, while sometimes a bit repetitive, is quite well-executed and energetic.
- His albums received fairly positive reviews.
- He's a great freestyler.
- He saved the song Hot Shower by Chance the Rapper.
- Like Tyler, The Creator and Nelly, he has full control over his music.
- Sometimes his style and flow can get repetitive.
- He has some bad songs like "Best Friend", "SAD SHIT" and "SHUT UP". His sophomore album BLAME IT ON BABY also received negative reviews.
- Whenever he tries to sing and use autotune, it is unbearable to listen to, similar to Rich the Kid and YBN Nahmir (ex. "SAD SHIT", "Best Friend", his feature on "Know No Better" (making him sound like a rip off of Bad Bunny), "DROP" (also making him sound like a rip off of Bad Bunny) and his feature on "Oprah's Bank Account").
- He claimed that him and Lil Wayne were the best rappers alive. While he is a great rapper, he hasn't done anything or had enough influence on the rap game to even be considered in the conversation for best rapper alive, and certainly not on the level of Lil Wayne, who has more of a case because of his legacy and long lasting influence on the rap game which both far exceed DaBaby's.
- He's not a very good person:
- He can't handle criticism that well. For example, when he was on XXL responding to hate comments, his only replies were "F*ck you" and "Imma beat you up".
- He said "Fuck you n*gga" to one of his fans for mistaking him with Roddy Ricch
- His many legal issues which include:
- Being charged with battery after being connected to a robbery investigation. He was later released 48 hours later.
- Assaulting both male and female fans on some occasions.
- Being involved in an incident involving a 19-year-old man dying from a gunshot wound. He admitted that he "acted in self-defence". The charge was later dropped and he ended up pleading guilty to carrying a concealed weapon.
- He disrespected a flight attendant.
- Like NLE Choppa with BlocBoy, although he worked with Rich Homie Quan for their song, Celebrate and they have good chemistry, he didn't made Rich Homie Quan famous again in recent years as Rich Homie Quan had fallen off completely to the point of him being underrated in recent years.
- Baby on Baby (2019)
- KIRK (2019)
- BLAME IT ON BABY (2020)
- NonFiction (2015)
- So Disrespectful (2015)
- The 10 Minute Mixtape (2015)
- God's Work (2016)
- God's Work Resurrected (2016)
- Baby Talk (2017)
- Baby Talk 2 (2017)
- Billion Dollar Baby (2017)
- Baby Talk 3 (2017)
- Back On My Baby Jesus Shit (2017)
- Baby Talk 4 (2017)
- Baby Talk 5 (2018)
- Blank Blank (2018)
- My Brother's Keeper (Long Live G) (2020)
- "Comin' Over" (featuring DJ Luke Nasty) (2017)
- "Big Butt" (2017)
- "Pull Up Music" (2017)
- "FuckYouTalmBout Freestyle" (with Chophouze) (2019)
- "Mini Van" (with BlocBoy JB) (2019)
- "Crazy" (with Str8Barz) (2019)
- "Suge" (2019)
- "Baby on Baby Out Now Freestyle" (2019)
- "I'm a Star" (with Locx) (2019)
- "Baby" (with Quality Control and Lil Baby) (2019)
- "Duck Sauce" (with Saint Vinci) (2019)
- "Baby Sitter" (featuring Offset) (2019)
- "Gucci Bag Latina" (with Zaweso del Patio, 2Sober and Jungle) (2019)
- "Coochie Bag" (with 2Sober, Chxna, NRG Rose, 20Vision and Tanya Stephens) (2019)
- "Panini (DaBaby Remix)" (with Lil Nas X) (2019)
- "INTRO" (2019)
- "BOP" (2019)
- "VIBEZ" (2019)
- "SHUT UP" (2020)
- "Find My Way" (2020)
- "ROCKSTAR" (2020)