Aubrey Drake Graham (born October 24th, 1986), better known as Drake, is a Canadian rapper, singer, songwriter, actor and entrepreneur. He achieved recognition as an actor in the early 2000s on the teen drama TV series Degrassi: The Next Generation before becoming an artist.
Aubrey Drake Graham was born in Toronto, Ontario on October 24th, 1986 to Dennis Graham, a Nigerian-Somali drummer and Sandra "Sandi" Sher, an Ashkenazi Jewish Canadian florist and English teacher. In his youth, he attended a Jewish day school and had a Bar Mitzvah ceremony.
Why He and His Music Rock
- His beats are amazing most of the time.
- He has some really good lyrics.
- His flow is great most of the time.
- His music videos are shot well.
- He can sing well too.
- He can do many different styles of music, including R&B and pop.
- He is a decent actor and voice actor in the case of the TV show Degrassi and the animated movie Ice Age: Continental Drift.
- His album covers are great.
- He made a great diss track called "Duppy Freestyle", which was aimed at Pusha T. Pusha later responded with the song "The Story of Adidon".
- He is one of the best new school rappers today.
- He has inspired many new artists.
- He has some great albums like Take Care and Nothing Was The Same. His mixtape "More Life" was also positively reviewed.
- His live performances are great.
- He does really good on features. Sometimes he uses his star power on features to help other smaller rappers or artists to get going in the game like he did with Lil Baby, 21 Savage (Post-2018), ILOVEMAKONNEN, Majid Jordan, PARTYNEXTDOOR, The Weeknd, BlocBoy JB, Blueface, Lil Durk, and Yung Bleu.
- He has collaborated with some good artists like Lil Wayne, The Weeknd, Kanye West, Rick Ross, Eminem and Rihanna.
- His voice's versatility allows him to make both tracks in which he sounds soft, emotional and melodic, and also tracks where he sounds serious, tough, and confident.
- He is great at doing hooks (ex: "She Will", "Forever").
- He is actually respectful to fans and haters alike. An example is when the Frank Ocean fans were booing him as they wanted Frank to be the surprise guest on Camp Flog Gnaw, he simply accepted their request and left the stage.
- He spoke out on the 61st Grammy awards stating "You do not need a Grammy in order to win".
- He donated $100,000 to National Bail Out, a collective that is helping bail out black mothers and caregivers amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- His EP Scary Hours 2 is pretty good and is an improvement from the horrible Views and Scorpion.
- He has some bad songs like "Pop Style", "KMT", "I'm Upset", "Nonstop", "Ratchet Happy Birthday" and "Toosie Slide".
- His albums Views and Scorpion and his mixtape Dark Lane Demo Tapes all received mixed reviews from critics.
- Many of his albums suffer from having too much filler and unneeded songs.
- He steals flows from other artists sometimes like in "KMT" and "SICKO MODE" where he stole the flows of the late XXXTENTACION (from his song "Look At Me!") and Famous Dex (from his song "Japan") respectively.
- After his album Views was published, many people accused him of cultural appropriation of Jamaican culture.
- He removed his Michael Jackson song "Don't Matter to Me" from his UK Tourset in the wake of infamous Leaving Neverland. This shows that even he was lacking sense, not just believing in a liar who slandered the poor guy.
- In 2015, Meek Mill exposed Drake for having a ghostwriter. After that, reference tracks of the songs 10 Bands, Know Yourself, and his guest verse on RICO leaked online.
- Although "Duppy Freestyle" was a good diss track, Pusha T's "The Story of Adidon" clearly exposed Drake's secret life, talking about Drake hiding his kid to the mass public.
- On his song "Two Birds, One Stone" he mocked Kid Cudi's mental health. To make things worse, during that time Cudi was on rehab for depression and suicidal thoughts.
- He had one of the worst freestyles of all time.
- He once kissed a 17 year old girl and commented on her breasts.
- He texts Millie Bobby Brown who was 15 at the time and Billie Eilish who was 17 at the time which had many worried and as a result labeled him and his action as creepy. However, both came to his defence.
- For his music video of his song "War" Marcella Zoia had a cameo. She is a woman from Toronto who is known as "chair girl" and plead guilty to throwing a chair over a 45th floor balcony which fell onto a busy highway (which could've injured or killed someone). This led to outrage from Canadians. However, Drake has said that he didn't choose any of extras that appeared in the video and fortunately he later re-released a new version which cut Marcella's cameo.
- In 2019, Drake was one of the artists to perform in Rock In Rio. But his show was criticized by fans and presenters for using too much playback. Besides, Drake ignored fans in the airport and only ate fries made by his chef because he refused to eat food made in Brazil.
- He wore a Jim Crow t-shirt and hoodie and blackface makeup on the cover art for "The Story of Adidon".
- Thank Me Later (2010)
- Take Care (2011)
- Nothing Was The Same (2013)
- Views (2016)
- Scorpion (2018)
- Certified Lover Boy (TBA)
- So Far Gone (2009)
- Scary Hours (2018)
- The Best in the World Pack (2019)
- Scary Hours 2 (2021)
- Room for Improvement (2006)
- Comeback Season (2007)
- So Far Gone (2009)
- If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (2015)
- More Life (2017)
- Dark Lane Demo Tapes (2020)
- What a Time to Be Alive (with Future) (2015)
- We Are Young Money (2009)
- Rise of an Empire (2014)
- Care Package (2019)