Melissa Vivianne Jefferson (born April 27, 1988), known professionally as Lizzo, is an American singer, rapper and songwriter. Born in Detroit, Michigan, she moved to Houston, Texas where she began performing, then to Minneapolis, where she began her career as a recording artist. Before signing with Nice Life and Atlantic Records, she released two studio albums— Lizzobangers (2013), and Big Grrrl Small World (2015). In 2014, Time named her one of fourteen music artists to watch. Her first major-label EP, Coconut Oil, was released in 2016.
In 2019, she attained mainstream success with the release of her third studio album, Cuz I Love You, which peaked at #4 on the Billboard 200. The album spawned two singles: "Juice" and "Tempo". The deluxe version of the album included her 2017 single "Truth Hurts", which became a viral sleeper hit, topping the Billboard Hot 100 two years after its initial release.
Aside from singing and rapping, Lizzo is also an actress; she served as the voice of Lydia in the animated film UglyDolls and starred as Liz in the crime comedy-drama film Hustlers.
Why She Rocks
- Her flow is amazing as heck.
- Her music videos are cool.
- Her production sounds so well done, Especially the production for her song "Juice".
- Her live performances are great.
- She has memorable songs like "Juice", "Truth Hurts", "Tempo", "Water Me" and "Boys".
- When she was asked about her gender and sexuality, Lizzo said, "I personally don't ascribe to just one thing.... That's why the colours for LGBTQ+ are a rainbow! Because there's a spectrum and right now we try to keep it black and white. That's just not working for me".
- She constantly shows people body positivity and this is a good thing
- Her EP Coconut Oil is mediocre at best.
- She received backlash for wearing a very risqué thong outfit and twerking in it at a Lakers Game where minors were present.
- Lizzobangers (2013)
- Big Grrrl Small World (2015)
- Cuz I Love You (2019)
- Due Process & Product (with Johnny Lewis) (2012)
- We Are the Chalice (with Sophia Eris and Claire de Lune) (2012)
- Grrrl Prty X Bionik (2015)
- Coconut Oil (2016)