My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (often abbreviated to MBDTF) is the fifth studio album by American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, composer, entrepreneur and fashion designer Kanye West. It was released in late 2010 by Def Jam and Roc-A-Fella, and features guest appearances from Kid Cudi, Raekwon, Rihanna, JAY-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, Bon Iver, Swizz Beatz, Pusha T, Cyhi the Prynce, RZA, John Legend, Beyoncé, Charlie Wilson and Big Sean.
The album received widespread acclaim from music critics and was a commercial success.
|My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy|
|2.||"Gorgeous" (ft. Kid Cudi and Raekwon)||5:57|
|4.||"All Of The Lights" (Interlude)||1:02|
|5.||"All Of The Lights"||4:59|
|6.||"Monster" (ft. JAY-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver)||6:18|
|7.||"So Appalled (ft. Swizz Beatz, JAY-Z, Pusha T, Cyhi the Prince and RZA)||6:38|
|8.||"Devil In A New Dress" (ft. Rick Ross)||5:52|
|9.||"Runaway" (ft. Pusha T)||9:08|
|10.||"Hell of a Life"||5:27|
|11.||"Blame Game" (ft. John Legend)||7:49|
|12.||"Lost in the World" (ft. Bon Iver)||4:16|
|13.||"Who Will Survive in America"||1:38|
|14.||"See Me Now" (featuring Beyoncé, Charlie Wilson & Big Sean)||6:03|
Why This Album Rocks
- The production on this album is phenomenal and is some of the best production of all time. (Except for the start of Hell Of A Life, but it was supposed to start like that and gradually get better)
- Every track on this album is good.
- There are tracks like "POWER" and "Runaway" which could easily be considered some of Kanye's greatest songs of all time.
- The lyrics on this album are amazing.
- The features do an amazing job, especially Nicki Minaj's verse on "Monster" and Rick Ross' verse on "Devil In A New Dress".
- The music videos that came with this album are amazing, especially the full-length film for Runaway. However, the video for “Monster” is terrible.
- The album covers for the album and singles are well drawn and are amazing pieces of art.
- The flows are amazing.
- Kanye's delivery is also pretty good.
- The track "Runaway" is so special and unique 3-minute outro that is just instrumental with Kanye putting his voice through a filter that makes him sound like a guitar.
- This is Kanye's best project and is one of the all-time greatest rap albums.
- The iTunes store bonus track adds the song "See Me Now" featuring Beyoncé, Charlie Wilson and Big Sean.
- It's a very conceptual album that you need to listen to closely in order to get the meaning.
- It combines a variety of different sounds and it sounds absolutely breathtaking.
- There are several cover arts for this album, all well drawn and look amazing.
- The uncensored cover art, although well drawn, is rather cringeworthy. However, it was meant to be.
- The track, "Blame Game" uses a sample of "Avril 14th" by Aphex Twin, which was used without Richard D. James' permission.
- The music video for "Monster" was disgusting since it had lots of porn in it. However, it got removed from YouTube.
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was universally acclaimed by music critics. On Metacritic, the album has a score of 94 out 100 based on 45 reviews and on AnyDecentMusic, it has a score of 8.8 out of 10. Andy Kellman of AllMusic gave it a 4 out of 5 stars, finding West's rapping inconsistent on what was nonetheless". Simon Vozick-Levinson of Entertainment Weekly gave it an A and Kitty Empire of The Guardian gave it a 4 out of 5 stars, being critical of how the rapper's lyrics regarded "women as ruthless money-grabbers". Ryan Dombal of Pitchfork gave it a 10 out of 10. Andy Gill of The Independent gave it a 5 out of 5 stars, hailing it as "one of pop's gaudiest, most grandiose efforts of recent years, a no-holds-barred musical extravaganza in which any notion of good taste is abandoned at the door".
In 2012, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Album while the song "All of the Lights" was nominated for Grammy Awards for Song of the Year, Best Rap Song, and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, winning in the latter two categories.